First, I should start of with an apology for completely neglecting my blog for the past 3 weeks! I thought about blogging so much, but I have also been so busy with Christmas, family, and New Years stuff that I just haven’t had the time! Either way, I hope you all had a wonderful holiday!
Let me tell you a little about my awesome holiday! In a (sort-of) nutshell:
1. The day that I wrote my last post, I finally got an email offering me an interview at my home O&G program. I was on the edge of my seat because I heard that other people were getting offers and I hadn’t heard yet. Since then. I have gotten offers for interviews at all five of the remaining programs I had applied to. I did apply to 6 programs, but one rejected me earlier on in the game. Hence, my last post was written after having gotten a rejection and then worrying that I wasn’t even going to get an interview at my home program.
2. That same day, I delivered all of my Christmas baking and gifts, including my gift for K (If you know me at all, you probably suspected that those scarves I mentioned previously were for her). I decided to give her both scarves and I included a comical little “tale” explaining why I gave her two scarves. She was on-call that night and when I woke up the next morning, I had an email from her that she sent at 2am. She said that the “tale” was the best she had ever read and that she loved both scarves as well. Obviously, she was pretty eager to open the gift if she did it at 2am!
3. The next day we had A’s Tae Kwon Do Christmas party. As an interesting twist, K’s son is also in Tae Kwon Do at the same school, so she was at the party, too… She texted me earlier in the day and we planned to get a table together, and when she showed up at the party, she was wearing one of the scarves. She came up to me, as if to show it off and asked, “do you like my new scarf?” We had a great time dancing it up with our boys and even though husband had to leave early with E, K offered to drive me home so we could continue having a great time!
4. The day after that, we drove home for Christmas. It is about a 6 hour drive, which is always fun with little kids. Either way, we made it there okay and we had a relatively great Christmas, despite some bumps. I don’t know what was worse: the family differ where my sister told my mom that her church is basically a cult (my mom is a super Evangelical Born Again Christian), or when my three year old came running up to my (Atheist) husband with the new book about Blessings from God that my mom bought him and said, “Daddy, this is my new favorite book, it’s about Jesus!” Perhaps, breaking my mother-in-law’s “already broken heart” (we had apparently already broken it previously, unbeknownst to us) may take the cake… I don’t know! I really wish I had time to blog about each episode as they happened so that you could all help me decide which was worse!
5. Christmas “proper” finally happened and it was actually pretty great! I got some cash, which I used to buy an iPad mini (yay). My mom bought husband and I a Vitamix (double yay), which I have used every day, multiple times a day since we got home. And, husband and I decided to buy each other a treadmill for Christmas (triple yay)! Gift wise: Best. Christmas. Ever.
6. We came home on Dec 29 and husband and I got ard at work at cleaning up our basement to make room for our new treadmill as well as to finish painting the doors and baseboards, which has sat unfinished for the past 18months since we developed the basement. The whole act of de-cluttering my basement led to a crazy drive for me to de-clutter my whole house. I went through every cupboard in my kitchen and organized the pantry and cleaned the fridge; I sorted and folded and properly stored ALL of the boys’ baby clothes, from 0-18months! Tonnes and tonnes of baby clothes! The list goes on (those were just the biggest projects). And finally, last night, I finished my little de-cluttering tirade.
Overall, it was a pretty fantastic holiday and I feel great! I feel better than I have in a long, long time. I don’t know if it’s because I had a really good break from the craziness of clerkship, or if the new medication I started a few months ago is finally at its peak, or if I’m just excited for the New Year. This is the year I will graduate Medical School! I only have about 12 weeks of clerkship left and they are easy rotations that are all broken into 2 week blocks. I hardly have any call, and I basically have another two week vacation coming up since all my residency interviews are packed into the last week of the three-week block we are given off to attend interviews. Exciting!
So, why the New Giraffe? Well, as most people, I have some resolutions:
1. I have decided to run a 10K race. We have a marathon every year in my city and every year I come up with an excuse to not participate. This year, I have no excuse. I even have the perfect training equipment right in my basement… and I have a great running partner: K said she wants to do it with me!
2. I am going to become the clean freak that I used to be before husband and I moved in together. I hate clutter and I hate how much I just let things go because I don’t have the energy. Now, I have the energy and I used it to deal with all the clutter and mess that was bothering me. I told husband how much is stresses me out to see such disorder in the house, and he vowed to help be more “clean.”
3. As for the actual “New Giraffe,” I’ve been thinking a lot lately about changing the name of my blog. I love The Giraffe, but I’m really not as cranky as I used to be. I feel like my blog has changed and transformed over the past year and I should reflect that in the title of my blog. I’m not totally sure if I am going to do this or not, and I have no idea what I would change it to… I’m hoping some of you might have some input on this! I am also toying with the idea of “revealing” myself; not everything, because I think it is still important for me to remain anonymous career wise and relationship wise. However, I am beginning to think that maybe posting more pictures, including pictures of me, would be a great addition to the blog! Let me know what you think, and stay tuned to see what I decide!